Apple has just released the macOS Big Sur 11.1 update, build number 20C69, with new features and a series of bug fixes. This is the first update to macOS 11.0.1, the initial Big Sur version that was issues just over one month ago, on November 12 and revised one week later.
Some of the most important macOS Big Sur 11.1 new features includes supports for the AirPods Max (Apple’s new over-ear headphones), TV app improvements, Apple News widgets for Notification Center and App Privacy Labels in the Mac App Store.
How To Install macOS Big Sur 11.1
- Similar to other updates macOS 11.1 can be updated in System Preferences -> Software Update.
- Click on Update Now… and be patient until Big Sur 11.1 is downloaded on your machine.
Fact: macOS Big Sur 11.1 update file is around 3,27 GB large, with small variations depending on Mac model.
- The ‘Preparing macOS Big Sur 11.1 Update…’ follows. Click Install Now when ready.
Tip: Make sure that your MacBook battery level is over 50%, or that the machine is connected to a power outlet.
macOS Big Sur 11.1 New Features
This update includes many new features also found in iOS 14.3:
- AirPods Max
- Apple TV
- Apple News
- App Store
- – Ecosia search engine option in Safari.
- Air Quality
– Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones.
– High fidelity audio for rich sound.
– Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions.
– Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise.
– Transparency mode to hear the environment around you.
– Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience.
– An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies.
– Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre and see recent searches and suggestions as you type.
– Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports.
– Apple News widgets are now available in Notification Center.
– New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices.
– In-game dashboard within Arcade games recommends new Arcade games to play.
– iPhone and iPad apps on Macs with M1.
– New window options for iPhone and iPad apps let you switch between landscape and portrait orientations or expand a window to fill the entire screen.
– Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app.
– Available in Maps and Siri for locations in China mainland.
– Health recommendations are provided in Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels.
macOS Big Sur 11.1 Bug Fixes
Apple also mentions fixes for the following issues:
- 1. QuickTime Player crashing when opening a movie with a timecode track, after upgrading from macOS Catalina.
- 2. Bluetooth connection status not displayed in Control Center issue.
- 3. Unlocking Mac automatically with Apple Watch problems.
Tip: We’ve provided an extended troubleshooting sequence for this bug over here.
- 4. Trackpad scrolling speed may be faster than expected on MacBook Pro models.
- 5. LG UltraFine 5K Display may incorrectly display at 4K resolution on Macs with M1.
macOS Big Sur 11.1 Bugs Not Fixed
In the past month we’ve covered a series of macOS Big Sur bugs that haven’t been mentioned as fixed in the update log. However, they might have been solved. Check them out using the list provided below and use the comments section to let us know if they still occur for you in this new version:
- Universal Clipboard not working between Mac and iPhone.
- M1 Mac Bluetooth connectivity issues in macOS Big Sur.
- iPhone not connecting to Mac, or intermittently connecting and disconnecting.
- Admin password not working in macOS Big Sur.
Have you updated to macOS Big Sur 11.1? What’s your feedback? Did you encounter any new bugs? Don’t hesitate to mention them in the comments section.