Is AirPlay to Mac not working? This is a new highly awaited macOS Monterey feature which allows you to natively stream content from iPhone or iPad to Mac. However, a series of users are reporting that they aren’t able to mirror the iPhone screen as advertised.
How To AirPlay To Mac
In macOS Monterey this feature is natively supported:
- For example, you can browse a video in Photos.
- Tap the Share icon, available in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Go for AirPlay and select your Mac from the list.
Tip: You can also AirPlay video to Mac from any other third party app or the Safari web browser. Just play the video in the respective app and tap the AirPlay icon, usually available in the top-right corner of the screen when in full-screen mode. Again, select your MacBook from the list of available AirPlay devices.
AirPlay To Mac Not Working
Fact: The same happens when trying to AirPlay music streamed from Apple Music. Users report that tapping the AirPlay icon, in the top-right corner of the Now Playing controls, or from within the Apple Music app, brings up a list of devices that they can AirPlay to, but the Mac isn’t included!
How To Fix AirPlay To Mac Not Working
Before we start troubleshooting, please check that all devices involved in the AirPlay procedure are updated to the latest macOS Monterey, iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 releases.
1. Check If Mac Is AirPlay Compatible
Unfortunately, the AirPlay To Mac feature is not available to all macOS 12, iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 compatible devices!
Below you can check the MacBook models that support it:
- MacBook Pro 2021 with (M1 Pro / M1 Max)
- MacBook Pro (2018 and later)
- MacBook Air (2018 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017)
- iMac (2019 and later)
- Mac Pro (2019)
- Mac mini (2020 and later)
- iPhone 7 and later
- iPad Pro (2nd generation and later)
- iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
- iPad (6th generation and later)
- iPad mini (5th generation and later)
Fact: Older iPhone and iPad models could be able to share content at a lower resolution. However the destination device has to be an AirPlay supported Mac.
Tip: Make sure that in Sharing Preferences the Allow AirPlay for is set to ‘Everyone’ or ‘Anyone on the same network’.
If your device is in the next list, you should stop troubleshooting because the feature isn’t available:
- MacBook Pro 2017 and Earlier
- MacBook Air 2017 and Earlier
- Mac Mini 2019 and Earlier
- iMac 2018 and Earlier
- Mac Mini 2019 and Earlier
- iPhone 6S and Earlier
- iPad Pro 1st generation
- iPad Air 2nd Generation and Earlier
2. Restart Devices
Tip: You can apply the force restart combo for both iOS and macOS devices.
3. Check AirPlay Receiver Setting
Although this option is enabled by default, you should double-check it:
- Open System Preferences.
- Click on Sharing.
- Check if AirPlay Receiver is enabled.
AirPlay To Mac No Sound?
You are able to mirror the content from your iPhone to your Mac but there’s no sound when playing the videos? Check the Ring/Silent switch available on the left side of your iPhone or iPad. If it’s set to ON, the airplayed content on Mac won’t be audible!
Have you managed to fix AirPlay to Mac not working in macOS Monterey? Did any of the tips provided above help out? Do you have a better suggestion? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Check out workarounds for other common macOS Monterey issues:
– USB hubs not working in macOS 12.0.1.
– Screensaver displays black screen instead of photos selected from your folder or album.
– System has run out of application memory error!
– Emails not loading in Mail after macOS 12.0.1 update.
– Photo slideshows not playing.