Last updated on October 20th, 2022 at 06:04 amPosted in News by Patricia on October 18, 2022
Apple has released iOS 16.1 RC build number 20B79. This is the final beta update before the public release of iOS 16.1 announced for October 24. Check out the common problems, new features, bugs fixed, improvements and more!
iOS 16.1 RC Problems
This is the last chance to report issues before the public release. Help us uncover them and we will try to provide the best troubleshooting options available, as well as forward your feedback to Apple:
- 1. Live Activities not availablein the Apple TV app.
- 2. Stage Manager rotation bug when you switch from Landscape to Portrait and back to Landscape every window is a different size and in a different position. Reported by Chris D.
- 3. iOS 16 Dark theme wallpaper not included. (Not really a bug, but something many iPhone fans have been waiting for).
- 4. External display support not available in this iPadOS version (Also not a bug, but it’s something that’s missing and was included in earlier betas.)
- 5. Volume can’t be adjusted during a call, when the iPhone is next to your ear. Reported by Paul (iPhone 13 Pro).
Workaround: Distance the device from your face and try again. More details here.
- 6. GPS signal very weak after updating to iOS 16.1 RC.
Fix: Turn Off Location Services, reboot device and re-enable Location Services.
- 7. Swipe Up Home Animation stutters when trying to return to Home screen. Confirmed by Malcolm.
Temporary Fixes: Restart iPhone, turn off AOD. More details here.
- 8. Dynamic Island stutters when locking iPhone 14 Pro with Side Button and display transitions to AOD. Reported by Luis.
Temporary Fix: Force restart. More details here.
- 9. Keyboard not showing up when swiping for Spotlight Search. This glitch has been reported in previous iOS 16 versions too.
Fix: Reboot iPhone. If it won’t fix read more here.
- 10. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Fact: For more known issues we also recommend you to check iOS 16.1 Developer release notes.
iOS 16.1 Features
- 1. iCloud Shared Photo Library
– Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
– Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
– Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
– Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
– Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth.
- 2. Live Activities – third-party apps are able to provide live data for tracking various events from the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- 3. Fitness+ – is finally available on iPhone for users without an Apple Watch!
- 4. Wallet
– Key sharing for secure and easy sharing of car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet with the help of popular messaging apps like Messages and WhatsApp.
– Savings account allows Apple Card customers to increase their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high yield savings account.
- 5. Home – finally gets Matter, a new new smart home connectivity standard. This allows a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across multiple ecosystems.
- 6. Clean Energy Charging is a new feature that tries to reduce the carbon footprint of your device be trying to charge it when lower carbon emission electricity is usually available.
- 7. Books comes with a change that hides reader controls automatically when you start reading.
- To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
We do expect more changes that will pass under the radar. Check them out below:
iOS 16.1 RC Bugs Fixed
According to Apple’s release notes we can highlight three issues that have been addressed in this release:
- 1. Deleted texts might continue to appear in the conversation list in Messages.
- 2. Dynamic Island content not available in Reachability view.
- 3. CarPlay not connecting when using a VPN app.
- 5. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Nevertheless, we expect many other under-the-hood fixes for annoying iOS 16 problems. We’re updating them below after testing and after receiving feedback from our readers:
iOS 16.1 RC Download
Else, you have to sign up as a Public Beta tester and enroll your device, with the help of the iOS 16 Configuration Profile. A step-by-step guide is available here.
Tip: Do perform a full encrypted backup of your iPhone on computer in Finder (Mac) or iTunes (Windows), before updating!
Have you installed iOS 16.1 RC on iPhone? Have you noticed any other changes not mentioned in this article? What about other bug fixes or new problems? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Apple has also released iPadOS 16.1 RC (20B79), macOS Ventura 13 RC (22A379), watchOS 9.1 RC (20S75) and tvOS 16.1 RC (20K71).