Last updated on October 5th, 2021 at 05:15 pmPosted in How To by Patricia on September 23, 2021
Are notifications not working on iPhone since updating to iOS 15? Apps are not triggering alerts unless you open them? New features like Focus or Scheduled Summary could block them if you accidentally enabled them. Or, you might be actually dealing with a notifications bug!
No Notfications In iOS 15 – Report
Reader Abheet was the first to signal this problem to us:
Not getting any notifications post the update to iOS 15. No notifications until the apps are individually opened!
How To Fix Notifications Not Working
iOS 15 revamps the way notifications work on iPhone. Let’s make sure that your device is properly set up:
1. Disable Focus Mode
Focus is an extension of the old Do Not Disturb mode. It provides many other setups that allow you to filter notifications by app and contacts.
If you accidentally enabled a focus mode, notifications might not show up on your iPhone. To check if a Focus is turned ON, open the Control Center and see if a mode is enabled. Turn it Off to start allowing notifications.
Tip: You can also browse for Settings -> Focus -> [Focus name] and tweak the People and Apps in the Allowed Notifications panel.
Trick: You can also easily tell when a Focus is enabled by spotting its icon in the iPhone’s status bar!
2. Turn Off Notification Summary
Another new iOS 15 feature that can lead to no notifications on iPhone is called Scheduled Summary:
- Open Settings and browse for Notifications -> Scheduled Summary.
- Disable the Notifications Summary or remove from the summary apps that you want to get notifications from in real time!
Tip: Use the daily notification average to see which apps are the most active when it comes to alerts!
3. Turn On Announce Notifications
- In the same Notifications menu in Settings, tap on Announce Notifications.
- Turn On Announce Notifications.
- Scroll for the app that’s having notification problems.
- Enable Announce Notifications and if there is an Announce option, go for All Notifications. Does this help?
4. Restart iPhone
If you reached this step and notifications are still not working in iOS 15, you should reboot your iPhone. A fresh start could eliminate minor glitches that might cause this issue.
How to: Use the force restart trick available here!
5. Reinstall Apps
Next, you can also offload and reinstall apps that are facing the iOS 15 no notifications bug:
- Browse for Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage.
- Tap on the app that you want to remove.
- Use the Offload App option. This will allow you to save documents and data of that app and have them automatically restored when you reinstall it.
- Tap on Reinstall and be patient.
6. Reset All Settings
- Open Settings and browse for General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset.
- Go for Reset All Settings.
- Provide your iPhone’s Passcode and confirm your intentions.
Fact: This action will reset Network Settings, Keyboard Dictionary, Home Screen Layout and Location & Privacy settings on your iPhone. This means that you will need to reconfigure Wi-Fi connectivity.
Notifications Silenced When iPhone Is Unlocked!
iOS 15 comes with another important behavior change when it comes to notifications. If you’re a fan of Do Not Disturb, you should know that notifications are now silenced even if the device is unlocked.
The ‘While iPhone is Locked’ option isn’t available for Do Not Disturb anymore, which means that you can either get notifications all the time or have them silenced for both Home and Lock screen.
Do you have problems with notifications in iOS 15? Are you hit by the no notifications bug? What’s your feedback about the new Focus feature? Use the comments section and let us know!
Related: Other common iOS 15 bugs are:
– Live Text not working on iPhone.
– Facebook Messenger videos flickering during playback!
– Storage bug triggers iPhone Storage Almost Full notification, when there’s obviously enough free space available!
– Safari video playback not working. Here is how to fix the black screen bug!