Did you know that you can lock apps with Face ID on iPhone running iOS 16? No third-party app or jailbreak needed as long as your device is updated to iOS 16.4, iPadOS 16.4 and macOS 13.3 or later!
Lock App With Face ID On iPhone?
Yes, all this is possible thanks to a new shortcut action for Lock Screen added by Apple in iOS 16.4.
This new addition allows you to configure a personal automation that causes the iPhone to lock when a selected app is opened.
Face ID and/or Passcode is required to unlock and be able to browse the application in question!
How To Lock Apps With Face ID or Passcode
Follow this step-by-step guide to lock any app on your iPhone, iPad or Mac with your go-to authentication method:
- 1. Open the native Shortcuts app on your iOS, iPadOS or macOS device.
- 2. Tap Automation tab, available at the bottom of the screen.
- 3. Tap ‘+’ in the top-right corner of the screen.
- 4. Go for Create Personal Automation.
- 5. Scroll for App.
- 6. Tap Choose and select the app that you want to protect with Face ID. Tap Done to confirm.
- 7. Tap Next (make sure that ‘Is Opened’ is checked).
- 8. Go for Add Action, search for ‘Lock Screen’ and select it!
- 9. Tap Next.
- 10. Disable Ask Before Running and hit Done.
That’s it! From now on every time you open the selected app, iPhone screen will automatically lock. It will immediately unlock thanks to Face ID and you can continue using the app.
Tip: Create similar automations for any each app that you want to protect with Face ID and passcode.
Fact: You can use the same automation on iPad and Mac and lock important apps behind a password or Touch ID.
Do you find this iOS automation helpful? What apps do you plan to password protect? Encountering any problems? Don’t hesitate to ask for help in the comments!
Related: Do you know that in iOS 16 you can reveal the WiFi Password of the network that your device is connected to?