However the smartwatch does run a bit smoother, acts more stable and battery usage seems less aggressive. Differently from the iOS 11 beta testing programe, watchOS 4 won’t receive a publicly downloadable test version. The public release is scheduled for this fall. Nevertheless, anyone can grab the watchOS 4 Developer beta even without owning an Apple Developer account. We’ve already provided a step-by-step guide for this workaround available here.
watchOS 4 Developer Beta 2 Download
Important: Reverting from watchOS 4 Beta to a public watchOS version is complicated. This is why you should think twice before installing and be aware that you have to stick with the beta until the public watchOS 4 version is rolled out this fall.
1. If you already run the initial watchOS 4 Beta on your Apple Watch, simply open the Apple Watch app on the paired iPhone and check the My Watch tab. Tap on General -> Software Update. Next, hit Download and Install on the Software Update screen, provide Passcode and be patient until watchOS 4 Beta 2 is installed on your wrist-worn device.
2. If your Apple Watch runs watchOS 3.2.2 you need to download the watchOS 4 Beta configuration profile from your Apple Developer account, or from a third party source available here. Then use the steps described at point 1 and install watchOS 4 Beta 2 the same way to proceed with a public update.
watchOS 4 Developer Beta 2 Update Log
According to the Software Update prompt this 2nd test version brings bugs fixes and performance improvements along the already reviewed new features and changes that have been included in the initial beta:
– New stock Apple Watch Flashlight available in the Control Center.
– Enhanced Dock with vertical scrolling function, app display settings and All Apps button.
– List view option as an alternative for the app bundle honeycomb.
– three new Watch Faces: Siri, Kaleidoscope and Toy Story.
– News app imported from iOS coming along with a new News complication.
– Apple Pay person-to-person within Messages and Apple Pay Cash, identical features with the ones provided by iOS 11 for iPhone and iPad.
– Multiple enhancements for the Workout app.