Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 03:24 am
Your brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max has just been shipped but its screen is unresponsive to touch in certain situations? Although this is a common issue for the iPhone 12 mini, it’s the first report that we received for Apple’s over-sized iPhone 12 flagship!
Similar to the iPhone 12 mini, the Pro Max doesn’t recognize touches made by the user’s thumb. However, besides the swipe-up to unlock problem reported by most users on the mini, the iPhone 12 Pro Max also experiences touch screen issues within apps.
iPhone 12 Pro Max Unresponsive Screen Cause?
In our article about the iPhone 12 mini unlock bug, we’ve mentioned that this issue might be caused by a conductivity problem encountered in the new iPhone models.
The latest iPhone 12 Pro Max unresponsive screen report that we received, only strengthens this conclusion. Our reader mentions that his device becomes unresponsive when it’s placed flat on a desk and the he tries to interact with the touch screen. The device works normally when it’s hold in the hand.
How To Fix iPhone 12 Pro Max Touch Screen Issues
Only an official fix provided by Apple will permanently solve the unresponsive screen bug. However, there are a series of tips and tricks that you can apply to improve your interaction with affected iPhone 12 models:
Update (November 19): Apple has released iOS 14.2.1 with a fix for the iPhone 12 mini unresponsive Lock Screen issues. Update your iPhone 12 Pro Max to the same version and see if it helps! Use the comments sections to provide your feedback.
1. Use Without A Case
By far, the best solution to improve the iPhone 12 touch screen issues is to remove the case. It doesn’t matter what type of case you’re using. The problem stops as soon as you take it off and your fingers have direct contact with the frame of the device.
Fact: Screen protectors don’t seem to influence the touch screen issues!
2. Set Up Back Tap To Home
A good workaround for replacing the swipe-up to dismiss the Lock Screen gesture is the new iOS 14 Back Tap feature. You can configure your iPhone to bring up the Home Screen when tapping twice or three times on its back:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll for Accessibility.
- Tap on Touch and scroll for Back Tap.
- Open Double Tap or Triple Tap.
- Select Home, from the System list.
Tip: You can replace other common gesture with Back Tap like: Scroll Up / Down, various Accessibility features, as well as System functions like Notification center, Control Center, Reachability and more.
3. Use AssistiveTouch
Another workaround that allows you to open the Home Screen and other system functions without the traditional swipe gestures is the Assistive Touch accessibility feature. When enabled it practically displays a digital Home Button on your iPhone’s screen:
- Open Settings and scroll for Accessibility.
- Tap on Touch and enable AssistiveTouch, available at the top of the screen.
- Drag & drop the digital Home Button to the desired location on the screen.
- Tap it to bring up quick actions like Home, Control Center, Notification Center and more.
4. Enable Touch Accommodations
- Open Settings and browse for Accessibility -> Touch -> Touch Accommodations.
- Turn on Touch Accommodations.
- Enable Hold Duration.
- The default setting is 0,10 seconds. Play with this value and see if it improves the iPhone 12 unresponsive screen issue!
5. Swipe Gestures Settings
Last but not least, the same Touch Accommodations accessibility menu has a Swipe Gestures setting, when you enable Hold Duration. Tap on it and enable it. Set Required Movement to ‘Standard’ value to help your iPhone detect swipe gestures as fast as possible.
Are you experiencing touch screen issues on your iPhone 12 Pro Max? What about other models from the same lineup lineup 12, 12 Pro, 12 mini? Does any of the above troubleshooting tips help you out? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Other day-1 problems reported for the iPhone 12 lineup are:
– iPhone 12 display flickering green tint
– iPhone 12 No Service and poor cellular coverage
– iPhone 12 Pro Max not charging wirelessly with MagSafe
– iPhone 12 yellow screen problem