Last updated on December 5th, 2022 at 04:41 amPosted in News, Reviews by Patricia on November 9, 2022
Apple has released iOS 16.1.1 build number 20B101 for iPhone 8 and later. It’s a minor but very important update that brings bug fixes and security improvements. Check out all the changes including new issues and problems that remain unfixed in this version!
iOS 16.1.1 Issues
Update: Apple has released iOS 16.1.2 with improvements and bug fixes. Please let us know if the issues reported below are still occurring in the new version!
- 1. WiFi keeps disconnecting frequently problem is still present! Confirmed by Ahmad.
Workaround: Please tweak this setting for a temporary fix!
- 2. Alarm widget lock screen bug doesn’t appear to be fixed either. More details here.
- 3. Safari not loading websites properly?
Workaround: Force quit Safari and re-open.
- 4. Screen turns black during calls and stays like this until the call ends. Buttons or taps not working. Reported by Menon, Chayan and Anupam.
Workaround: Use speakerphone during calls.
- 5. iPhone overheating when watching YouTube live streams in Picture-in-Picture mode. Reported by Coolgeek71.
- 6. 5G badge missing from cellular signal info in the status bar? Reported by MrLonely_.
- 7. ‘An update is required to use mobile data on this iPhone’ error after iOS 16.1.1 update. Reported by Yusuf.
Fix: Go to Settings -> General -> About and scroll to the carrier section. Does an update from your carrier pop up? Install it.
- 8. Mobile data not working when iPhone switches from Wifi to cellular. Reported by cezar.
Fix: Restart iPhone or switch to 4G connectivity. More details here.
- 9. iPhone overheating after iOS 16.1.1 update. Reported by Florin.
Workaround: Downgrade to iOS 15 as shown here.
- 10. Games stuttering issue continues. iPhone can not even maintain stable 60 frames per second. Confirmed by Carl.
Workaround: Downgrade to iOS 15.
- 11. Facebook Messenger missing new messages after update for Carol and Michael.
Fix: Offload and reinstall Facebook as shown here.
- 12. Battery draining very fast after iOS 16.1.1 update for Shika, Alyssa, Christine, Chris, Danielle.
- 13. Step count data missing in Health for AZ.
- 14. Screen freezing, unresponsive after iOS 16.1.1 update for Felix.
Temporary fix: Force restart iPhone
- 15. iPhone keeps rebooting every few minutes for noora, Prerna and Arvid.
Fix: A detailed article is available here.
- 16. Mail not showing all new emails on iPhone, although they show up on Mac. Reported by Amalia.
- 17. Phone app red badge not showing a number and won’t go away for Julia.
Fix: This issue is unfixed since earlier iOS 16 version. It’s related to Voicemail messages. More info here.
- 18. Phone calls ending unexpectedly for Margaret.
- 19. Delete messages option missing in Messages for Lisa.
- 20. Payment & Shipping setting in Settings -> Apple ID opens Apple Music when accessed. Reported by Stel.
Workaround: Access Payment Method setting via Media & Purchases as shown here.
- 21. Facebook posting not working after iOS 16.1.1 update for Charlene.
- 22. Raise to wake and tap to wake not working. Reported by shijo.
Workaround: Use the Side button to wake your device.
- 23. Weather not updating in a timely manner. Forecast refresh lags for over 10 seconds. Reported by Isa
Fix: Reainstall Weather app and tweak Location Access settings as shown here.
- 24. Touch issues on iPhone, inaccurate typing and swipes not registering for Vikki.
Workaround: This problem has been reported in previous iOS 16 versions for device’s with aftermarket screen replacements. Use Touch Accommodations to fix.
- 25. iPhone not charging or charging very slow after iOS 16.1.1 update for Danielle.
Workaround: Turn off device while charging.
- 26. Announce Notifications missing in Settings -> Siri for Shelly (iPhone SE)
- 27. Screen recording not working after iOS 16.1.1 update for Callee.
Potential fix: Force restart iPhone.
- 28. Quicktime screen recording with iPhone as source not working anymore for Manuel.
- 29. iPhone charging very slow is an iOS 16.1.1 problem experienced by several readers: Michael (iPhone 12), David, Martin and Nyasha (iPhone 13 Pro).
Workarounds: Use MagSafe wireless charging if available, or turn Off your device while charging. More info here.
- 30. Siri unable to search Contacts is an iOS 16.1.1 issue reported by jayleswo.
- 31. Books crashes unexpectedly for Mark.
Fix: Offload and reinstall app in Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> Books.
- 32. Ringtones and alerts not ringing anymore after update for Michelle.
- 33. Messages sent twice for Dee. The first one in a green bubble (regular text), the second one in a blue one (iMessage) although the recipients have iPhones.
- 34. Memo app crashes when opening, an iOS 16.1.1 issue reported by Libby.
- 35. Notes typing slow, with a 3-5 seconds delay or not typing at all for Nick
Workaround: Turn Wi-Fi off, force quit other apps.
- 36. iCloud Mail folders not available. It an iOS 16.1.1 problem reported by Patricia W. Are you also experiencing the same?
- 37. Voicemail transcription not working has been reported by Pauline.
Fix: A dedicated article for this issue is available here.
- 38. Calls breaking up constantly is a glitch experienced by Katherine. Are you experiencing the same?
Fix: Clean install iOS 16.1.1.
- 39. Apps not downloading in the App Store after this update for Andrea. Getting ‘payment not completed’ error.
Fix: Sign out and sign back into your Apple ID.
- 40. Red sun in Weather app forecast is an iOS 16.1.1 bug mentioned by Bob.
Fix: Disable Increase Contrast setting. A detailed article is available here.
- 41. Airprint not working for Amy or working with issues for Gabriel.
Fix: We’ve published a dedicated article for this issue over here.
- 42. Audio stops working unexpectedly on iPhone for Ashley. Are you experiencing the same? Report it in the comments.
- 43. Contacts messed up is an iOS 16.1.1 issue reported by Whitney. Names associated to wrong numbers and vice-versa.
- 44. Huge clock on Lock Screen is disliked by many iPhone users. This is intended behavior and not a bug.
Tip: You can make it less obtrusive by applying these tricks.
- 45. Cannot send mail error pops up for Grace and Eugenia when trying to send email messages on iPhone.
Fix: Reinstall Mail app.| Workaround: Turn off Undo send. More details available here.
- 46. Deleting contacts causes conversations and profiles to delete too. Reported by Michelle.
- 47. Time switching back an hour multiple times is an iOS 16.1.1 problem reported by Dorothy.
Workaround: This might not be an iOS problem after all as reported here. Turn Off Set Automatically for time zone.
- 48. iPhone not showing AM/PM format for Ted after iOS 16.1.1 update. Are you experiencing the same?
Workaround: Turn off 24-Hour Time format and Set Automatically for time zone.
- 49. Cannot add Yahoo email account to Mail app, an iOS 16.1.1 problem experienced by Amy. Are you experiencing the same?
- 50.Rouvy mobile cycling app stuck in portrait mode since the 16.1.1 update. Reported by Janine.
Fix: A fix has to be most likely provided by the app developer via an update in the App Store.
- 51. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
iOS 16.1.1 Update
Tip: Be patient until the update is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed on your iPhone!
iOS 16.1.1 Bugs Fixed
According to Apple this release comes with bug fixes, but no specific details are provided.
We’re testing the iOS 16.1 bugs out and will update this section with the ones that have been fixed.
- 1. Wallpaper turns black on Home and Lock Screen. (Status: Not fixed.)
Workaround: Add a new Lock Screen as shown here.
- 2. CarPlay not working since iOS 16.1 update. More details here. (Status: Not fixed!)
- 3. iPhone Black screen , device unresponsive since iOS 16 update. More details here. (Status: Not fixed). Confirmed by Sally.
- 4. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Fact: For more details you can also check Apple’s Developer release notes.
iOS 16.1.1 Security Fixes
According to Apple this update brings two security fixes that address the following vulnerability:
“A remote user may be able to cause unexpected app termination or arbitrary code execution.”
More: For more details please read Apple’s security content of this release.
Have you installed iOS 16.1.1 on iPhone? Do you notice any changes not mentioned in this article? What about other bugs fixed or new issues? Share your feedback in the comments!